Mary Quirke was my 2nd Great Grandmother. She was baptised on the 12 Aug 1832 at Johns Well, St Johns, Kilkenny Ireland to John Quirk and Catherine Slattery.
Name: Mary Quirk Date of Baptism/Birth: 12-Aug-1832
Address: Johns Well Parish/District: ST. JOHN’S
County Co. Kilkenny Denomination: Roman Catholic
Father: John Quirk Mother: Catherine Slattery
Informant 1: William Quirk Informant 2: Mary Quirk
Mary arrived in New South Wales on board the Athenian 15th December 1853 (source: Reel 2137, [4/4791]; Reel 2464, [4/4928]). She was aged 21, could Read, roman catholic, here parents were listed as John and Catherine, father dead, mother living and she had an Uncle Peter living in Sydney
On the 10th March 1857, Mary married Joseph Dilworth, a widower who had 6 young children. His first wife Elizabeth had died in December 1856.
Mary and Joseph had 6 children of their own:
- William (1857-1877)
- Lizzie (1859-1937): married Walter Rodd
- Charles Patrick (1861-1946): married Margaret McCormack * my great grandparents
- John James (1865-1929): married Maria Donnelly
- Ruth Catherine (1866-1939): married John Rice Smith. On their marriage certificate, her name is listed as Catherine Margaret. Her Birth is registered as Ruth Catherine.
- Maryann Margaret (1868-1939): married Francis McGuire. On her death certificate her name is listed as Margaret Catherine. Her birth certificate though shows her name as Maryann Margaret. Her marriage certificate says her name was Margaret and she was given consent to marry by her mother.
It appears that by about 1870, Mary had begun a new relationship with Michael Melvyton (1844-1925). Mary and Michael had 3 children:
- Charlotte (1872-1950): married John McGinnity
- Maryann (1873-1925): married James Bennett
- Michael (1875-?): married Ada Sophia Curtin
Mary and Michael did not marry until 29th December 1887 at Gunnedah. On the marriage, Mary used her maiden name of Quirk.
Mary died on the 10th November 1911 at Boggabri. She is buried with Mary Catherine Dilworth who died 23rd October 1919. Her parents were Michael & Winifred. I have not been able to establish what the relationship is between the two.