Surname Saturday – Harris
My paternal GG grandfather was George Honey Harris.
- He was born in 1844 at Guernsey, Channel Islands United Kingdom and died in 1932 at Encounter Bay South Australia.
- His middle name was also spelt ‘Honney’ in some records.
- His parents were: Pierre George Harris (1805-1877) and Adelina Bienvenu (1813-1877).
- George arrived in South Australia with his parents after 1851
The following notice appears in the The South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1858-1889) Thursday 18 April 1878 for the marrige between George Harris and Rose Ann Hurst
“HARRIS—HURST.—On the 3rd April, at Truro, by Rey. W. H. Newbould, George Honey Harris, Station Manager Overland Corner, to Rose Ann, second daughter of Mr. John Hurst, of Truro”.
Overland Corner, is 16 km from Barmera on the Morgan Road and was a convenient watering place and camp site for the overlanders and drovers operating between New South Wales and the colony based on Adelaide in the early years of the 1800s. It was also the stopping place for paddle steamers and coach passengers on the Adelaide to Wentworth route.
On the South Australian Genealogy & Heraldy cemetery index, I have found a record for a death of a George Honey Harris in 1932. The SA BDM index has his date of death as the 27th April 1932 at Encounter Bay SA.
RoseAnn Harris nee Hurst died at Morgan South Australian on the 27th September 1890.
They had the following children that I am aware of:
- Daisy Edith Harris (born 1879-1932) – my Great Grandmother – who married Richard Mitchell
- George Herbert Hurst Harris (born 1881 ANG:265/369 )
- George Harry Webster Harris (born 1885 ang:351/371)
- Charles Howard Churchward Harris (born 1886 – died 1969)
- Violet Harris (born 1890 – Died 1891)